Vacancy – Executive Director (0,8 – 1 Fte)
We believe knowledge brokering is indispensable for creating a just world. In everything we do, we orchestrate the use of knowledge to ignite, spark and increase a positive impact.
The Broker is a Dutch knowledge brokering organisation and a neutral convener and facilitator of knowledge co-creation for international sustainable and inclusive development since 2007. Through knowledge brokering, we make knowledge generation more inclusive and close the gap between evidence and impact. By doing so, we enable governments, NGOs, and private actors to make informed decisions on international development.
Our knowledge brokering methodology optimises the use of knowledge, especially types of knowledge that are often overlooked or remain unused. We uncover and deliver it in the right place, in the best form, and at the right moment to empower decision-makers who strive to make an impact for a just world.
We have a dynamic team of knowledge brokers who are ideal-driven and talented young professionals housed in The Social Hub Collab Amsterdam West. As a project organisation, The Broker sets up and participates in multiple international projects and takes part in the INCLUDE and Netherlands Food Partnership knowledge platforms funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Department for International Cooperation. For more information, see our website www.thebrokeronline.eu.
The world and the societies within are changing rapidly. Geo-political shifts, global climate challenges, and globally decreasing government funding for International Development are just a few challenges worth mentioning. Therefore, organisations like ours need to innovate, diversify income sources, and become more agile and future-proof.
Currently, we are looking for an inspiring and experienced Executive Director.
Your role and end-responsibilities
As Executive Director at The Broker, you:
● lead and inspire a young, dynamic and talented team
● take financial and organisational responsibility
● consolidate and further diversify our sources of income
● create a shared vision on the added value of knowledge brokering
● co-develop our organisational direction and strategy
● identify trends and opportunities in our work field and network
● are the external ‘face’ of The Broker
● maintain and strengthen our external networks
● build bridges between stakeholders
● have a good common business sense
● are pragmatic
You have the following qualities and skills:
● at least 15 years of working experience in international development or international sustainability in a mid-or higher-career level position
● several years of experience with fundraising
● experience with working with or in LMIC’s is highly desirable
● a Master’s degree in a study relevant to international sustainable development
● a relevant network and knowledge of working with stakeholders from different sectors (academia, policy, civil society, and business)
● sensitivity to (thematic) shifts and changes within our work field
● optimistic, inspiring, and not settling in for a ‘no’
● be a people manager by nature
● resilient, stress-resistant and a flexible working attitude
● sensitivity to different cultures and the various stakeholder interests
● good (oral and written) communication skills
● fully proficient in Dutch and English; knowledge of French is an advantage
What we offer
The Broker offers a challenging position in a dynamic and international working environment. You will lead a young and enthusiastic team (13 FTEs). Our office is located in The Social Hub Collab Amsterdam West with friendly and focused co-working spaces, home to creatives and startups.
You will be employed for an initial period of 1 year in the position of Executive Director, starting as soon as possible. The maximum salary will be € 7.234 based on full-time employment (36 hrs/week), in scale 13 of our salary policy, depending on experience. Additionally, you will have 25 days of holiday leave (based on full-time employment), a holiday allowance of 8%, and a full 13th month.
This vacancy is for 0,8-1 FTE (32-36 hours a week), depending on availability and experience – to be determined prior to commencement of the contract. Upon satisfactory performance, an extension of the contract is possible after the initial 12 months.
Please send us your motivation (max 1 A4) and CV in English before 13 December 2023 to email@example.com.
Interviews will be held between 18 December 2023 and 12 January at our office in Amsterdam West.
Please contact our HR officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 2446 901.