The Broker is looking for a Knowledge Broker
Are you passionate about the power of knowledge to transform international development processes for a more inclusive and sustainable world? Do you have experience in working with Dutch governmental and non-governmental partners in the international development sector? Then this vacancy might be for you!
The Broker, the Netherlands based knowledge brokering organization for international development, is looking for a knowledge broker to join our team for 4 to 5 days a week. As a member of our team you will develop, coordinate and implement practical projects on knowledge (co-)creation, exchange and use with our partners and clients in the field of international development. You will be part of a young and dynamic team that is passionate about strengthening evidence-based practices, learning processes and helping organizations to increase their impact.
Working at The Broker will give you the opportunity to add a valuable contribution to a unique niche in the field of international development. As a neutral convener of knowledge between a wide range of different stakeholders, you ensure that development processes are based on balanced insights where you take all kinds of thematic and geographic perspectives into account.
At the moment we are specifically looking for a Senior Knowledge Broker that can take the lead on programme and project development with Dutch partners, both governmental and non-governmental, such as Ministries (MoFA in particular), NWO, Partos and RVO. The ideal candidate already has an established professional network and solid knowledge of this field.
Your main tasks and responsibilities at The Broker
- Identifying trends, developments and opportunities in the field of global development;
- (Further) developing your own (thematic) portfolio and building a matching network;
- Acquisition of new funding opportunities and projects for The Broker;
- Writing project proposals;
- Carrying out, developing and coordinating knowledge brokering projects with various clients and target groups, especially in the field of Dutch Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation;
- Leading project teams and supervising team members;
- Maintaining contact with external clients and partners;
- Co-developing organisational strategy.
Who you are
- You are passionate about the power of knowledge to help build a more inclusive and sustainable world;
- You have at minimum completed a Master’s degree in a study relevant to international development (e.g. international development, development economics, African studies, sustainable development, environmental studies, conflict studies, sociology, political science, human geography, anthropology);
- You have at least 7 years of working experience in a mid-or higher-career level position, in knowledge brokering, academia, policy-making or (programme development/ learning) civil society or (social) entrepreneurship/business, in the field of international development, preferably having worked in various of these sectors;
- You have a relevant, established network in the Dutch international development sector and you have extensive knowledge in the field of the Dutch Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation;
- You are a generalist and able to assess the content of our work in broader terms as well as its policy-relevance and are sensitive to changes within our work field;
- You are innovative, proactive, creative, hands-on and able to create new opportunities to translate the mission of The Broker into new projects and programmes;
- You have experience leading project teams and/or supervising team members;
- You have experience designing and managing budgets for different types of projects;
- You are resilient, stress-resistant and have a flexible working attitude;
- You are sensitive to different cultures and the various interests of stakeholders;
- You have good (oral and written) communication (and editing) skills, including a journalistic writing style that adapts to the needs of different clients;
- You live in The Netherlands;
- You are fully proficient in English. Knowledge of Dutch and French is an advantage.
Who we are
The Broker has pioneered knowledge brokering in the international development sector since 2007. Our knowledge brokers help clients and partners identify and apply new, old and overlooked insights to make informed decisions, design more effective programmes and use the power of knowledge to create more impact. Through knowledge brokering methods like co-creation we make processes of knowledge generation more inclusive and close the gap between evidence and impact.
Our activities are about optimizing the use of knowledge, and especially those types of knowledge often overlooked or unused. We uncover and deliver it in the right place, in the best form, at the right moment, to empower people that are looking to make an impact for a more sustainable and inclusive world.
What we offer
The Broker offers you an exciting position in a dynamic and international working environment where you can develop your knowledge brokering skills as part of a young and enthusiastic team. Our offices are located in TSH Collab Amsterdam West and The Hague, friendly and focused coworking spaces, home to creatives and start-ups.
You will be employed for an initial period of 1 year for the position of knowledge broker, starting as soon as possible. Your salary will be €3015-4445 (based on full-time employment, 40 hrs/week – scale 9 in our salary policy based on “CAO” Social Work) depending on experience and range of duties. Additionally, you will receive 25 paid holidays (based on full-time employment). This vacancy is for 0,8 – 1 fte (32 – 40 hours a week); this will depend on availability and experience – to be determined prior to commencement of the contract.
Upon satisfactory performance, an extension of the contract is possible after the initial 12 months.
Please send us your motivation (max 1 A4) and CV (preferably max 2 A4) in English before Febraury 1st to email@example.com.
Interviews will take place between 6 – 10 February at one of our offices in The Hague or Amsterdam West.
Please contact our office manager Charlotte Stam at firstname.lastname@example.org or 070 2211 954.