Upcoming: Broker Day 2019
Bye bye Calimero! This is the title of our Broker Day, which will take place on 6 November 2019 (13:00–18:00) in the Hague at the Bazaar of Ideas, where the Broker’s office is located. After two earlier Broker Days – in 2013 (on inequality, with former Minister Lilianne Ploumen as keynote speaker) and in 2014 (on decent work, with former Vice President Lodewijk Asscher as keynote speaker) – The Broker is now devoting its Broker Day to discussing the question: How can the Netherlands rise up from its ‘Calimero complex’ to become a major player in sustainable and inclusive development worldwide?
Alluding to the Italian-Japanese animation figure Calimero, a key objective of the day is to examine the Dutch tendency to think of the Netherlands as “only a small country” and assume that “we cannot do much” (the ‘Calimero complex’). In the concept note for this day (forthcoming), the Broker will outline why limited international power and public resources do not have to stop us from thinking big. It will highlight a number of fields in which the Netherlands can make a major contribution in the following sessions:
- ‘Going Dutch’ in mitigating water conflicts
- How to start using our pensions to combat climate change
- Circular migration: a win-win or too good to be true?
- Equal risk, equal gain: equality as requirement for sustainability
- Teaming up with the private sector in knowledge brokering
- Beyond the taboo: what can drug economies do for the poor?
- It’s consumption stupid! A mindset change for a truly inclusive value chain
This day will entail a wide range of activities such as: keynote speeches, debates, documentary screenings, quizzes and other ‘fun learning’ activities. Click the flyer below for more information on the day’s programme.
Registration to this day is open, with limited seats available. You can register here.
Follow our website and newsletter to stay updated. For more information on the programme and registration contact: email@example.com.