Knowledge Broker (24-32 hours)
Are you passionate about the power of knowledge to support social impact and international development processes for more just and sustainable societies? Should more connection between various worlds of knowledge be facilitated to this end? Do you have experience in working on (knowledge) policy or programmes in these fields? Then this role might be for you!
The Broker, the Netherlands-based knowledge brokering organization for social impact and international development, is looking for a broker to join our team for 4 to 5 days a week. In this role you will shape, coordinate and implement practical projects in fields of knowledge (co-)creation, exchange and use with our partners and clients in the field of international development. Together with end users you will develop mappings, overviews, policy analysis and recommendations, synthesis and discussion papers, toolboxes, video’s, infographics, guidelines, knowledge consultations, and expert meetings. You will be part of a dynamic team that is passionate about strengthening evidence-based practices, learning processes and assisting organizations and businesses to increase their impact.
Working at The Broker will give you the opportunity to contribute to a unique niche in the fields of international development and social impact. As a facilitator of knowledge processes working with and in between a wide range of stakeholders, you help make development processes more effective.
Your main tasks and responsibilities at The Broker
- Identifying trends, developments and opportunities in the field of global development;
- Carrying out, developing and coordinating knowledge brokering projects with various clients and target groups, especially in the field of Dutch Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation. This varies from short research projects like mappings and quick-scans to larger qualitative studies and synthesis papers combined with design and facilitation of co-creation workshops or broader processes and the development of usable knowledge products;
- Coordinating small project teams;
- Developing your own (thematic) portfolio and building a matching network;
- Acquisition of new funding opportunities and projects for The Broker;
- Writing project proposals;
- Maintaining contact with clients and partners;
- Co-developing organisational strategy.
Who you are
- You are passionate about the power of knowledge to help build a more inclusive and sustainable world;
- You have at minimum completed a master’s degree in a study relevant to international development (e.g. international development, development economics, African studies, environmental studies, conflict studies, sociology, political science, human geography, anthropology);
- You have at least 7 years of working experience in the field of international development, in knowledge brokering, academia, policy-making or (programme development/ learning) civil society or (social) entrepreneurship/business. Preferably having worked in more than one of these sectors;
- You have a relevant network in the field of international development and/or social impact and you have knowledge of Dutch Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation policies;
- You are a generalist that is able to assess the content of our work in broader terms as well as its policy-relevance and are sensitive to changes within our work field;
- You are innovative, proactive, creative, hands-on and able to create new opportunities to translate the mission of The Broker into new projects;
- You have experience coordinating project teams;
- You have experience managing project budgets;
- You are resilient, stress-resistant and have a flexible working attitude;
- You are sensitive to different cultures and the varying interests of stakeholders;
- You have good (oral and written) communication (including editing) skills, including a journalistic writing style that adapts to the needs of different clients;
- You live in The Netherlands;
- You are fully proficient in English. Knowledge of Dutch and French is an advantage.
Who we are
The Broker has pioneered knowledge brokering in the international development sector since 2007. Our knowledge brokers help clients and partners identify and apply new, old and overlooked insights to make informed decisions, design more effective programmes and use the power of knowledge to create more impact. Through knowledge brokering methods like co-creation we make processes of knowledge generation more inclusive and close the gap between evidence and impact.
Our activities are about optimizing the use of knowledge, and especially those types of knowledge often overlooked or unused. We uncover and deliver it in the right place, in the best form, at the right moment, to empower people that are looking to make an impact for a more sustainable and just world.
What we offer
The Broker offers you an exciting position in a dynamic and international working environment where you can develop your knowledge brokering skills as part of a young and enthusiastic team. Our office is located in TSH Collab Amsterdam West friendly and focused coworking spaces, home to creatives and start-ups.
You will be employed for an initial period of 1 year starting as soon as possible. Your salary will be €2.836-4.445 (based on full-time employment, 40 hrs/week – based on our salary house (which follows the “CAO” Social Work) depending on experience and range of duties. Additionally, you will receive 25 paid holidays (based on full-time employment) and a 13th month. This vacancy is for 0,8 fte (32 hours). Upon satisfactory performance, an extension of the contract is possible after the initial 12 months.
Please send us your motivation (max 1 A4) and CV (preferably max 2 A4) in English to email@example.com.
Selections will be made on a rolling basis.
Please contact our office manager Charlotte Stam at firstname.lastname@example.org